F7 DVD problem -

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Jun 10 12:44:06 UTC 2007

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:

> We have two options available to us in this rural area unless you count
> the local cable company who offered to hook us up for $6000
> [installation].  The two are either Wildblue or Hughes and the Hughes
> FAP is too restrictive for anyone who might want to download Linux CD's
> and/or DVD's!

If you were in Taiwan, then $6K NT isn't bad.  But if you are talking $6K US
then *OUCH*

> I think I need to use yum to install the RPM's in the F7-DVD.iso file if
> things are to update properly but I'm not sure how to accomplish that,
> help appreciated but I am about to investigate that.

I'm an old hand at this.  I am sure there will be some that will tell you
that you can set up a "local repo" and use yum.  However, I would simply use
"rpm -ivh" and if there were any dependency issues I would figure them out
on my own.

Sometimes experienced people are not always the best source of help.  :-(

Ed