how can i remove unused but loaded kernel modules?

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Sun Jun 10 13:13:02 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 18:27 +0200, Mark wrote:
> i will give that "compiling in the kernel" a shot when i really can`t
> figure out how to remove those modules permanently.
> the module loading stuff (and everything related to it) seems to take
> about 5 seconds.. i`ve already dropped the boot time from will over 45
> seconds to a tight 35 seconds.. without those useless modules it could
> be just some more than 30 seconds.

I hate to say it, but since you seem to have configured your machine to
only need/use what it needs, and your boot time is around 35 seconds,
AND YOUR COMPLAINING?

Dude, you probably boot up as fast as over 50% of the users here I bet.
I think your trying ot get the last milk out of the cow, and your only
going to get maybe a drop at a time at best at this point.

Just to help though, do you have enough RAM and CPU?  Just increasing
those two alone (hell RAM is cheap nowadays, that would help greatly)
would probably get you some more time.

Anyway, good luck on your endeavor, but I think your stuck to yoru
current setup until a new sysinit comes out or something.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Best little town on Earth!"