Fedora 7 install hung [Was: Re: Fedora 7 CD iso files?]

Philip Walden pwaldenlinux at pacbell.net
Sun Jun 10 16:08:03 UTC 2007

Philip Walden wrote:
> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Philip Walden wrote:
>>

>>> Restarted and this time I got several hours into the install to "5 of
>>> 864 completed Installing glibc-common - 2.6-3.i386". Same thing, no
>>> disk
>>> activity, the cursor would not track and the spinning wait cursor
>>> froze.
>>>
>>> At this point I suspect my original FC6 is busted. Any suggestions
>>> before I start with a complete, from scratch including disk reformat?
>>>

>> Well, is FC-6 "busted" or not?
>> I mean, will the system re-boot?
>>
>> My experience is that if an upgrade fails
>> the system usually runs OK.
>>
>> I had at least 3 failures like this while upgrading an Athlon-64
>> machine,
>> and it seems to run fine.
>>
> You are right, I was able to reboot on the original FC6 install. Sorry
> it was late and I just tried it today. I have never had a install
> problem before, so I had no idea what the result was going to be.
>
> I guess I am being a gluten for punishment, I tried again. This time
> it stuck quickly at the "Checking dependencies" again.
>
> I am not installing on a weird system, I think. It's a older i386 HP
> OB6000 laptop. I had no problems installing  FC4, and upgrading to FC5
> and FC6 on this system.
>
> This is the first time I have had to try the http source install as
> this thing's DVD-ROM will not recognize my DVD+R or DVD-R disks. Could
> the http sourcing cause this problem? Should I just keep trying until
> I get it going? The previous run was about 4-5 hours into the install
> when it hung.
So I tried again. This time I am stuck. I insert the boot disk. When I
get to the specify http source screen and press ok, it displays a
(looking like Russian cryllic) and stops. I try again, same thing. I
unmount and remount the iso on the http server, and try again. Now I get
the Russian text after selecting the Install or upgrade option in the
Welcome to Fedora screen, nevermind selecting the language, keyboard and
http source.

I try again, this time no Russian, but it hangs on "Running anaconda".

Looks like FC7 just does not like this box. I can't be a hardware
failure, as I can use this thing "until the cows come home" with FC6.