Do you use SELinux

Norm maillist at sios.ca
Sun Jun 10 18:35:08 UTC 2007

Richard England wrote:
> a bc wrote:
>> how many of you activate selinux in fedora here? i know it will be
>> more security for the computer.
>> is it useful on a desktop computer? why does fedora 7 activate it as
>> default?
>> thanks!
> It's been on since FC4 on two desktops and one laptop. No issues have
> been discovered that can be attributed to SELinux.   Currently have
> desktop on 6, one on 7 and the laptop on 6.
>
> The more security the better.  I keep abreast of issues as they appear
> on this list and others, but I've not encountered anything that made
> me need to disable it.
Do I find SELinux useful? Don't know, to the best of my knowledge I have
never had an incident  that "needed" SELinux.  Even though I have not
needed it I always run with it as an extra insurance, the minor
inconveniences of the occasional tweak to allow some applications etc
that I do want to run is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that
I am less vulnerable  than I might be to security violations.   The
troule shooter in F 7 helps fix any admin matters that do arise, always
been able to follow their instructions to fix the issue quickly.