help with Fedora core 7 dial-up connection

Pete Cull x2315 PTCull at lbl.gov
Tue Jun 12 00:58:26 UTC 2007

E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
> Phil Meyer wrote:
>
>> Did you go into system-config-network and ask it to scan for a modem?
>> It will do the right thing.
>>
>> From the menu:
>>
>> System/Administration/Network  -Add -Modem connection.
>>
>> As part of that dialog it will 'discover' your modem.
>
> I don't think so.
> I got:
>
>    You have selected the following information:
>    Hardware: Generic Modem
>    Provider name: netwood
>    Login name: edwin
>    Phone number: 8061685
>
> then I pressed the Apply button.
> Everything seemed fine until I tried to "Activate" the device.
> I don't think that the system ever actually found the modem.

Does anyone know how to "Reverse Engineer" the U.S. Robotics 5610B/C
RPM at:

    <ftp://ftp.usr.com/usr/dl15/LNUX_3ComMdm-1.0-1.i386.rpm>

linked from:

    <http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5610c>

I didn't ask USR's permission yet, however, it would be handy to know
what the RPM does, and if it's still viable for using this RPM with F7
and the USR5610B/C.