two questions from a novice

Jace Carlson jacecar at usa.net
Tue Jun 12 07:38:12 UTC 2007

> At 8:20 PM -0400 6/11/07, Jace Carlson wrote:
>
>> First, I've had this problem with Firefox (under Fedora Core 6) for a
>> few weeks, and it is annoying.  I am unable to find a fix on my own, so
>> I'll ask here: I upgraded to the most recent 1.5.x release, and after a
>> few uses, the next time I start the browser, I get a dialog stating "!
>> Error launching browser window: no XBL binding for browser" -- click OK
>> and it shuts down.
>>

> Have you rebooted since upgrading?  I had a problem recently on FC6 with
> (IIRC) bonobo-activation-server running amok and using lots of memory.
> Logging out and back in can cure such transient issues, and so will
> rebooting.

Rebooted several times.  I can uninstall and reinstall and it will work
immediately...  for a few hours, and then it will give me the "no XBL
binding" message again and I will be stuck.  Reboot after it is stuck,
and the error remains.
>> Second, I'm one of those unlucky few who doesn't have a DVD burner, so
>> after downloading Fedora 7, I am unable to install it.  I have a single
>> hard drive and a dual boot configuration with Win XP and Fedora Core 6.
>> I have a copy of the iso on both NTFS and Ext3.  When I boot to the
>> installer, it gives me the option of installing from the hard drive...
>> but no matter where I put the iso under XP or FC6, I am unable to find
>> it.  The help file says to mount the iso using the following command:
>> "su -c 'mount -o loop =t iso9660 <isofilename> <mountpoint>' provided
>> that <mountpoint> physically exists.  That works wonderfully...  while I
>> remain under FC 6, but when I boot to the installer, no such mount point
>> can be found.
>>

> You don't need to loopback mount the ISO to install from it.  What you do
> need is to be able to mount the partition the ISO is on.  I don't know if
> you can do that from NTFS or LVM volumes.  I do such installs from a FAT32
> volume.

Help file specifically recommends NTFS because it can handle large
files.  And the mount command came from:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/Download#head-63f2f094c0bf835676c5167cfb64e9a9f0d861d3

I agree that I need to mount the partition that the iso is on...  I
cannot figure out how to do that once I boot to the install image.  I
boot, it gives me option to install, then it wants the source on a local
hard drive.   /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3 are my options.  sda1 is the
NT partition, and even if the iso is sitting in the root, the installer
cannot find it.  sda2 is the /boot partition, which is too small to hold
the iso.  sda3 is the linux partition, and no matter where I put the
iso, the installer cannot find it.

Very specifically, I do not know how to make it find the iso -- even tho
it is right in front of my nose ;)
>> So...  I have 3 copies of the F7 iso within inches of where I need to
>> get to it in order to install/upgrade, but I can't for the life of me
>> figure out what to do next.  I refuse to use the "online" option again,
>> as I don't want to pull out any more hair than I already have on an
>> idiotic installer that doesn't even know how to handle an internet hiccup.
>>

> File a bug against Anaconda.  Sure, others have files such bugs, but more
> complaints may finally lead to action.

I just filed two for anaconda.  I didn't find anything really relevant
in prior tickets, so I created new ones.

Thanks for your help so far!