Move configs from FC6

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 12 13:39:03 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 10:20 +0200, Adalbert Prokop wrote:
> tsimi at speakeasy.net wrote on Tuesday 12 June 2007:
>
> > I've installed Fedora 7 on a different partition than FC6, and would
> > like to import my old information from evolution and firefox i.e. old
> > emails and contacts, and bookmarks from firefox.
>
> Those are personal information located in your home. You can either copy
> your whole home directory from an old location to new, preserving all
> settings

Copying your whole home directory is not a great idea. In every version
upgrade so far the gnome related configuration files are different so if
you use gnome you will have a problem.
You can tar up your old home directory and then doe a tar -k into your
new system. This  will copy only files that do not exist into your new
directory so the gnome files that have been created in the new home
directory will be preserved. However the evolution and mozilla files
will not be copied . They will have to be transfered separately.
> # cp -a <oldhome> <newhome>
>
> or you just copy the directories which hold the programs' settings you
> mentioned. That should be $HOME/.mozilla/firefox and $HOME/.evolution
> (last one is a guess, I don't use it)
>
> The best solution is to place /home on an independent partition. This will
> preserve your home on every installation so you won't loose your settings
> any more - assuming you don't create a new file system on it ("format it"
> in Common Tongue of Redmond's Followers).
>
> --
> Bye
> Adalbert

Hope is a waking dream. -- Aristotle