FC6 DVD Movie player

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Tue Jun 12 19:49:52 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 12 June 2007 15:05, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Hi Gang I have no idea how to yum software that will play a DVD movie on
> FC6. Does anyone know a name?
>
> Karl

You can use Mplayer, Xine, or Ogle. I've recently put Mplayer on FC6 from
freshrpms, and it works ok with my Rage 128 card, using the r128 driver.

http://bordeaux.freshrpms.net

Info is on the site for setting up the repo with yum. I use apt so my URL is
no use to you.

You can also get Mplayer from the Livna repo.

http://rpm.livna.org/

For mplayer you also need to install the codecs. I'm not in FC6 at the mo, but
look on yumex for something like w32codecs.

if you want to try Xine, or Ogle, you need to also install libdvdcss, which
allow them to decrypt encrypted dvd's. Mplayer doesn't need it, as it's
already in the package.

You may have to mess about with video settings to get them to play your dvd's,
and make sure that the correct path to your dvd device is showing.

All the best.

Nigel.