burning CDs on FC7 didn't work as non-root

Michael Klinosky mpk2 at enter.net
Wed Jun 13 21:25:13 UTC 2007

Tim:
> This is a problem that I've not seen in a very long time (i.e. many
> releases ago of Red Hat Linux, I think).  I tried to burn a CD-ROM from
> an ISO, and nothing would let me do it as myself (command line tools,
> applications, etc.).  As far as I could see, all the device permissions
> were set in a way that should have let me do it.  I had to resort to
> using wodim as the root user to get the job done.  Is this a personal
> glitch, or do others find the same thing?

What was the problem/error?

I've experienced a similar headache from day 1 with linux (on SUSE 10.0,
and FC5, FC6, and now F7, with various hardware).

I use CD/DVD Creator;  when I click 'Write', give the details, and click
OK, it comes back with "Please insert a disc with xxx MiB free." I'm
using blank discs!

Turns out that this has been noticed already -

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hal/+bug/109763

Is this your situation?