Updates - evolution issue with your David's messages

Robert Locke lists at ralii.com
Sat Jun 16 12:09:48 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 15:20 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 21:06 -0700, David Boles wrote:
> > About Evolution I can not comment. I have never used it. But I do seem
> > to recall many complaining that it was 'buggy' and the bugs were not
> > being addressed. I really have no idea what they meant when they wrote
> > that.
>
> Just about all software's buggy, but I've not heard before this thread
> anything about Evolution's track record for bug fixing.  Its origins are
> from Novell Groupware, so that puts some off right from the start.  I
> find Thunderbird, worse, though.  I've tried quite a few clients, not
> really keen on any of them.  I use Evolution as the least-worst that
> I've tried on Linux, which is hardly a recommendation.

Just to clarify a couple of points:

1) Evolution comes from Ximian, which was acquired by Novell, long after
Novell had been selling Group"wise" on NetWare.

2) There were some complaints about Novell/Ximian's lack of response to
bugs in the 1.4 series, but, in their defense, I think most of their
efforts at that point were working on the 2.0 beta, so, yes, 1.4 was,
perhaps, not receiving enough love for a while....

Guess that's just the history lecturer in me....  Sorry for the
interruption....

--Rob