Resolved: printing problem: losing text at bottom

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Mon Jun 18 01:16:39 UTC 2007

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:

> Kam Leo wrote:

> >>    I'm having the exact same problem. I do not have a fix and it is
> >> very bad that you can't print a file any more. I think it needs to be
> >> repaired.

>     I am using a Brother HL-1440 and it says 81/2 by 11 and the paper is
> that size. Same printer on FC4 has no problem. Also on FC6 the font size
> is much larger and it appears to be all darker than a normal print on FC4.

Editing PSC_1500_series.ppd did the trick for lp,
but had no effect on a2ps.
For a2ps, I had to edit a2ps.cfg .

In /etc/cups/ppd/PSC_1500_series.ppd ,  I changed
*HWMargins: 18 36 18 9
*HWMargins: 18 54 18 9
The margin order is left, bottom, right, top.

In /etc/a2ps.cfg , I changed
Medium: Letter            612     792
Medium: Letter      612     792  18 54  594 783
There were gratuitous tabs.
The values are in points.
The first two are the paper dimensions.
The next two are the x, y position of the
lower left corner of the printable area.
The last two are the x, y position of the upper right.

lp still gives me rather dark print.

--
Mike   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"Horse guts never lie."  -- Cherek Bear-Shoulders