Partition neatness and order question ?

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Tue Jun 19 17:37:45 UTC 2007

Thanks Boy;

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 19:22 +0200, Boy Hartsuiker wrote:
> William Case <billlinux at rogers.com> wrote:

[snip]

> It does that because the first partition is an extended partition (5-9 are
> contained in no. 1).
> The maximum number of extended plus primary partitions on a single drive
> is 4 so it reserves 2-4
> for the other 3 partitions that might be added later. This actually keeps
> the numbers in order
> relative to the end and start of the partitions.
> The numbers can only be changed if you repartition the disk. I suppose it
> CAN be done without
> destroying the data on the disk, but it wouldn't be easy.

Now I think I remember.  Back about FC4 or FC5, when my partitions where
hdb1, hdb2, hdb3 etc. the Fedora install tried to foist LVM on me. I
valiantly fought back, but ended up with hdb1, hdb5, hdb6 etc.  I
thought I had done something wrong, but my Linux continued to work so a
left it alone, promising myself I would get back to it someday.  Today
was going to be "some day". But, after the explanations from Jeff and
Boy, I guess "some day" is never.

Thanks all.

--
Regards Bill