Brief diary of an F-7 installation

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Jun 19 19:47:22 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm pretty sure the people who could offer a radio button choice
> between Gnome and KDE actually push Gnome for
> political/philosophical reasons.

Not that it's even relevant, but could you back up this statement?
How do you mean political here?

> I've found in different discussions of this point that after giving
> the "people don't like being given a choice" argument the same
> people usually go on to say why Gnome is morally preferable.

Who are "these same people" you refer to?  Are they the guys that
actually work on Anaconda and the rest of Fedora or are they nameless
folks in some IRC channel (whose opinions and reasons don't mean a
thing as far as what actually happens in the distro)?

The bottom line is that Fedora is primarily Gnome and GTK+ based
distro.  If you don't like that default, you are free to help the
folks working on KDE and QT to improve them to such a point that they
become the obvious choice for the default install.  You could also
simply install Fedora and choose KDE, using the options in the
installer, or the KDE spin of F7.

The more laws, the less justice.
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero "De Officiis", 44 B.C.