Brief diary of an F-7 installation

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Wed Jun 20 05:38:31 UTC 2007

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 00:28:44 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Surely no one who plans on having more than
> one subdirectory would voluntarily pick a file manager that leaves an
> open window at every level if an alternative were presented in an equal
> context during installation.

Assuming that you're talking about Nautilus, that behaviour can be easily
changed in the preferences menu ("Always open in browser windows")

> Why would a new user know/care about this instead of just going back to
> whatever OS they used before when they get annoyed with nautilus behavior?

They would very likely not.  Which is why I (for one) have never really
considered Fedora to be a beginner's flavour of Linux.  I read a quote a while
back that stated, "Ubuntu is intended to be used by idiots.  Fedora is
intended to be operated by experts."  While somewhat bluntly and possibly
insultingly worded, it makes what I think is a valid point.  (I'm really not
trying to insult anyone; just trying to explain this view.)

Others may very well disagree with my opinion, of course.