Playing Movie DVD's and No Picture

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Jun 20 19:33:04 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
>> James Bunnell wrote:
>>> I am running F7, with the updated kernel, 3228, when I try to play a
>>> movie dvd, it runs, has sound, but no pic, I have tried close to
>>> everything to resolve this. I have seen some indications in the forums
>>> of the same kind of problems before F7. any help on this? thanks.
>>>
>>> Jim.
>>>

>> What software are you trying to play it with?  That would help in
>> trying to resolve the issue.
>>
>> For DVD's I use either mplayer or xine.
>>
>    Hi Robin, perhaps you could tell us how you got mplayer and Xine to
> to display DVD movies? I understand it takes some Secret files.
>
> Karl

Take a look at this.  It is close to FC6.

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html

You need libdvdcss to be able to play commercial DVD's.  I installed my
lib from livna.

This whole issue is legal and is caused by the US Government and
copyright/patent rules and fear of litigation.

The first think I do on a new install is install "yumex" as a graphical
package manager.  I like it but I will see what is new on F7 shortly.

I then enable a couple of outside repositories.
   livna
   freshrpms

In yumex, I then do a search under install for DVD and install what
packages I want/need.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.