recommendations for a 64-bit laptop with ECC memory?

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 07:47:59 UTC 2007

I think you're missing the point here.
ECC ram will not guard against failures, it will simply reduce the
probability of a failure. In other words, it just prolongs the inevitable.
You have to ask yourself, how important will it be that the data is
calculated with absolute precision? If it's absolutely essential, just
get two different-architecture/build machines and check that both
answers match before believing either one (I think that's what they do
for ISS and shuttles :)
There's a further complication if you don't want to recompute again if
the answers mismatched - use three machines and decide using majority rule.