CIFS problem with Umlaute in filename on Fedora Core 5

Loic Domaigne loic-dev at gmx.net
Mon Jun 25 05:12:12 UTC 2007

Hello Everybody,

I am facing some issues with CIFS and german character encoding for file names
under Fedora Core 5.

I have a NAS storage (DNS-323) running an embedded Linux with samba. This
device is able to support Western European encoding, which is set in the
smb.conf as follows:

[ global ]
client code page = 850
character set = ISO8859-1

>From my wife's laptop running Windows XP, file names with Umlaute äöü etc. are
correctly shown. However, if I map the same drive under Fedora Core 5, the
filenames with Umlaute are shown as strange ? combination:

# mount -t cifs -o username=antje%xxx,iocharset=iso8859-1 //<IP>/Volume_1/LaptopAntje /mnt/nas
# ls /mnt/nas/
  hmm ?.txt  ?h?.txt  PICT3303.JPG

For instance ?h?.txt should be ähö.txt.

I have tried to set the locale to de_DE.ISO-8859-1, but no avail.
# export LC_ALL=de_DE.ISO-8859-1
# ls /mnt/nas/
  hmm .txt  ?h?.txt  PICT3303.JPG

Even more interesting, the same file names are correctly shown under
konqueror using the smb:// mapping.

Could someone point me what I am doing wrong? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

TIA,
Loic.