problems upgrading from FC6 to F7

Gordon Keehn gordonkeehn at netzero.net
Mon Jun 25 15:26:33 UTC 2007

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 13:55 -0400, Marc wrote:
>>
>>> No I haven't used any labels.  I haven't done anything; I am just
>>> trying to do an upgrade.  My FC6 may have labels, I don't know.
>>>
>> It does, by default.  So unless you went in and modified things, you've
>> got them.  They're, generally, a good thing, but you get problems if you
>> try to add another OS (whether by another drive, or more partitions on
>> one drive) if the labels are not unique.
>>

> Looking at /etc/fstab will tell you whether or not you have labels
> and/or are using them to mount your partitions.  vol_id is a useful tool
> to let you see if *any* partition has a label at all.  Including your
> swap partitions.  I found it seems to have moved between my FC5 machine
> (where it is in /sbin/vol_id) and my FC6 machin (where I found it in
> /lib/udev/vol_id).
>
> I'm getting my FC5 system ready for its impending F-7 upgrade, and I
> read the F-7 release notes first looking for "gotchas".  This was the
> biggest one I saw that would affect me.  So far, I've rebooted once
> successfully with data partition labels, and I've just labeled my swap
> partitions and successfully re-enabled them with "swapon -a", so I
> should be all set here now.  My /etc/fstab now uses labels for all my
> local mounts.

   After upgrading from FC6, I tripped on this one trying to have an
external USB drive mounted automatically at boot.  It seems to come up
with a different drive number every time I boot.
   Meanwhile, since the "upgrade" I can't log into SWAT to manage my
Samba shares, and F7 flatly refuses to print to a printer attached to a
neighboring WinXP box.  This is an improvement?  (OK, these may be
related, but I have neither the time nor the skills to do this kind of
diagnostic work.)
<RANT>
Much as I hate the thought of further rewarding Mr. Gates for granting
me the right to run buggy software on increasingly expensive hardware,
the one thing I can say about Windows is that it (mostly) "Just works".
</RANT>