Bluetooth support

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Mon Jun 25 18:58:12 UTC 2007

Today Konstantin Svist did spake thusly:

> Scott van Looy wrote:
>> Today Ed Greshko did spake thusly:

>>> Let's ask a very basic question.
>>>
>>> What are you expecting to happen?  What is the goal?  Without knowing the
>>> goal, and without knowing what "thing" you are turning on it would seem
>>> hard
>>> to determine what, if anything is wrong.  It may well be not
>>> working....but
>>> what should it be doing....or what do you think it should be doing?
>>>
>>> Usually, when I turn on my "thing" it works pretty good and all concerned
>>> are satisfied....or at least they say they are.
>>
>> There's 2 classes of bluetooth devices, bluetooth audio wireless devices
>> (hands free kits) are the latter class, which not all bluetooth dongles,
>> etc support. Plus, for bluetooth to work in fedora you need the appropriate
>> PC hardware
>>

> I'm pretty sure we're talking about the wireless devices, not dongles.
> My bluetooth dongle (actuall built into my laptop) is recognized perfectly
> well and works so far (transferring files to/from my cell phone).
>
> Let's concentrate on a single one for now: bluetooth headphones (though I'm
> sure there are lots more devices that can be improved). Another closely
> related device is a bluetooth headset (headphone & microphone - the BT device
> you would use with your cell phone)
> It's easy to connect the headphones to FC6, but nothing happens after that.
> I'd like to be able to actually hear music through them.

What I'm trying to say is that bluetooth headphones, bluetooth file
transfer, etc are a different bluetooth class to bluetooth headsets,
frinstance I can get bluetooth headphones to work with my Palm TX, but
headsets don't, this is due to them using a newer version of the bluetooth
standard (supports "headset profile" or A2DP). Most phones support it,
obviously, but not all computers do.

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003