Driver for Modem

Adalbert Prokop adalbert.prokop at gmx.de
Mon Jun 25 19:14:51 UTC 2007

Quaimuddeen Khan wrote on Monday 25 June 2007:

> Can anybody help me with detecting my computer's internal modem
> (Creative Modem Blaster (PCI) DI 5663) on Fedora 7 since Fedora is not
> able to recognize it.

Most probably it is a so-called winmodem. Simply spoken it is a castrated
modem where some hardware functions has been moved into the driver
(software) for unknown purposes. I suppose this way the manufacturer can
make his hardware cheaper by one or two bucks. Because the manufacturer
does not document his hardware it's very difficult to reverse engeneer
the driver's functions and write drivers for linux.

Have a look at http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/ There you will find
various documentation about winmodems. I doubt if you find a linux distro
which supports a winmodem.

Good luck!

--
bye,
Adalbert

You can tell how far we have to go, when FORTRAN is the language of
supercomputers. -- Steven Feiner