Window won't go away

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 26 17:55:45 UTC 2007

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>> It does nothing on my computer except to cause the current window
>> to lose focus, and a highlighted line appears around the screen.
>> No change to the cursor. Nothing happens if I click on a terminal
>> window while the screen is highlighted.
>>
>> Mike
>
> Does "xkill" work from the command line?
>
> It always does for me, I never knew of CTR+ALT+ESC until today.

I have a man entry for it. I haven't tried using it. CTRL-ALT-ESC
does light up the screen boundary. If I press another ESC while
holding down the CTRL-ALT it lights up the task bar. Another ESC
toggles between the screen and the task bar. Clicking on a terminal
window while this is active does nothing except set the mouse
focus to the window, AFAICT.

I just tried xkill. I started up a terminal window, and did a
ps. Then I started another terminal window, and ran xkill with
no argument. A special cursor, like a square with a nested square
turned 45 degrees appeared. I placed it over the first terminal
window, and clicked. Both terminal windows disappeared.

Since the windows overlapped, I tried again with non-overlapping
windows. Same thing. It killed both windows.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.