First F7 install

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Tue Jun 26 21:43:03 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 16:48, John Bowden wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 June 2007 04:16:26 Richard England wrote:
> > John Bowden wrote:

> > > How do I do that?
> >
> > from the CLI
> >
> > alsamixer
>
> Done that all sliders are at the 100% mark. Still silence.

Ok. All the sliders in alsamixer are at 100%. Have you checked the switches?
For example, for my audigy2 soundblaster card, there is a switch marked
"Audigy A" . With that muted I have no sound. Any sliders that have a box
beneath them displaying "MM" are muted. Suspect ones are "Master", "PCM",
etc. Of course, what you see on alsamixer varies from soundcard to soundcard,
and can vary also depending on the distro, and the version of the distro. The
M key toggles the state of the switches.

For example I'm booted into Kubuntu, and the audigy2 soundblaster card, and
the "PCM" control just has a slider, but other distros I use with this card
show a switch on the "PCM" control. I'm not going to boot them all up just to
confirm this, but it may be worth checking again that nothing important is
muted.

You could post the output of :
cat /proc/asound/cards
cat /proc/asound/version
and
/sbin/lsmod | grep snd

Did the sound work ok with earlier FC versions on that machine?

Over to you for the moment.

Nigel.