First F7 install USB drives not automounting

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 26 23:18:30 UTC 2007

John Bowden wrote:
> Hi list
> 	Fresh install of F7. I just plugged in two different USB external hard rives
> and none of them were auto mounted. Both drives are IDE drives in external
> USB enclosures. One is a laptop drive and the enclosure gets its power from
> the USB socket, the other is standard size drive and the enclosure has its
> own power supply. Any ideas?

This is determined by
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/99-redhat-storage-policy-fixed-drives.fdi.
You can either edit it or just move it out of that location and auto
mounting would work.

It has been done as a security measure but policy kit in Fedora 8 should
make this much more usable. There is a recent discussion in fedora-devel
list about this FYI.

Rahul