FC6 has gotten me frustrated

Ron Siven r.siven at mchsi.com
Wed Jun 27 22:05:30 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 27 June 2007 3:59:20 pm Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 10:34 -0500, dsavage at peaknet.net wrote:
> > > After fighting with For 9 months I am exhausted. I had to get the sound
> > > card to be recognized, to get the machine to shutoff when I shut it
> > > down, etc it has finally almost defeated me. It has worked for 6 months
> > > or more but suddenly during a yum update last week the network slowed
> > > down to a crawl. I did not update anything for awhile but now to use
> > > the web browser to load the web page of the local lan's router takes
> > > maybe 5 minutes if it loads at all.
> > >
> > > I can ping the router with out problem but yum actions just slow to a
> > > halt, going to an external web page is impossible.
> > >
> > > The resolv.conf has not changed, neither has the hosts file. Right now
> > > I am stumped any other suggestions out there.
> > >
> > > Since I am  heavy into F7 I am the point of thinking of giving the
> > > machine to Goodwill. Any help would be appreciated.
> > > --
> > > Aaron Konstam
> >
> > Aaron,
> >
> > I may be having a similar experience shutting down FC6 on a Thinkpad. My
> > workaround has been to stop my 3com wireless card (Atheros) and nfs
> > service before doing an init 0. Why? I haven't a clue.
> > can you access.
> > I'm hoping F7 doesn't have this problem.
> >
> > --Doc Savage
> >   Fairview Heights, IL
>
> Thw halting is no longer a problem but the fact that no application can
> communicate to and from the machine at a tolerable rate is a problem. If
> you can't load the web page of the router the machine is wired directly
> to what can you access and it is getting worse.

Perhaps you just need to replace your NIC?  I had a similar problem when my
USB 2.0 adapter went out on me.  Actually, it has happened twice now that I
think of it.  The machine would run fine, but upon reboot it would not
reliably restart.  I'd have to try it several times.  Finally, I just pulled
the card, and now all is well again.

-- Ron