Formatting CDs

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 28 13:53:49 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 03:54 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> >
> > That was my original point. You can format CD-RW under windows and use
> > them under fedora but you can't format them under fedora.
> > Why not one might ask?
>
> I am not aware that one can do something to a CDROM using Windows
> which will allow Linux to use simple cp, rm, etc. commands to
> modify the content of that CDROM. Are you sure you have this right?
>
> Try this, please...
>
> Take a fresh CR-RW from the box, and do whatever magic you think
> Windows can do on a Windows box, and put a few files on it. Then take
> the CD-RW over to a Linux machine, and just using cp, copy an additional
> file, and using just rm, delete one of those files. Unmount and eject
> the CD-RW and re insert and mount it using Linux. Then check that
> the new file is there, and the removed file is gone.
>
> Mike
I have tried it. The CD formatted in Windows will not work in Linux.
Which is why I want a way to do the formatting in Linux.
Cerebus: I'd love to lick apricot brandy out of your navel. Jaka: Look,
Cerebus-- Jaka has to tell you ... something Cerebus: If Cerebus had a
navel, would you lick apricot brandy out of it? Jaka: Ugh! Cerebus: You
don't like apricot brandy? -- Cerebus #6, "The Secret"
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net