Sharing swap (was swap off on boot)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Jun 28 14:55:11 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:

> If you're sharing swap partitions, you might have to forgo identifying
> it by a volume name (the other one may keep on erasing it).  Try
> changing your fstab file to use the device name instead of the label.
>
> The unable to resume message is about it trying to unhibernate.  If
> you're not hibernating, ignore the warning.  If you are, then sharing
> the swap partition is going to be a problem (if you boot into the other
> one, it'll remove what's used for resuming).  If you are resuming, but
> not swapping between OSs in the meantime, I'd expect you could make
> things work by avoiding volume labels, and remaking your initrd file so
> that it doesn't look for the swap by the label, either.

Strange thought - what would happen if you had a valid resume image
in the swap because you hibernated from one install, and you booted
into another install that was set to resume from swap? Is the
signature different for different installs? What about the same
install, but different kernel versions?

Mikkel