Logrotate no longer works..."Too Many Open Files"

Matthew Saltzman mjs at CLEMSON.EDU
Thu Jun 28 17:29:16 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 18:48 -0400, Mike Burger wrote:
> My named, maillog and messages logs have never rotated on a daily basis,
> before.

Are they actually being rotated?  Or are they just being checked?  My
maillog and syslog entries in /etc/logrotate.d don't have any time
designators, so they should go by the default in /etc/logrotate.conf.
In my case, that says "weekly".  Yours should be the same.  But the
logrotate job runs daily.

Logrotate keeps last-rotated dates in /var/lib/logrotate.status.  If you
have the runaway rotation problem (see my other post in this thread),
it's possible that that's corrupted.

> And no, it wasn't...my apologies...I usually do better.  I can only note
> that my 2 month old was crying as I wrote the second message, and forgot
> to trim it down before sending it.

Accepted 8^).