Setup Epson-R260

Adam Hough adam at gradientzero.com
Thu Mar 1 18:46:48 UTC 2007

I got an epson stylus R380 to work with FC6
using the pipslite-cups-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm which I downloaded from
http://www.avasys.jp .

Here are the instructions I used (except i just installed the rpm and
did not have to do the renaming of where the printer is in /dev
either).

I believe the only steps I did were (note you have to be connected to
the printer by a usb cable to use this program to create the ppd file):
4. Make the PPD file: run a file
called "pipslite-install" which is
in /usr/local/EPAva/LITE/

They should create a PPD file in /usr/share/cups/model/

After the ppd file is created you should just have to run
system-config-printer and specify the file that it created as the
driver.

I then uninstalled the rpm. I can now print through the printer server
with the PPD files that was created.

http://forums.freestandards.org/read.php?26,594,951#msg-951
Re: Epson Stylus Photo R360 - just prints blank pages!
Posted by: shinyblue (IP Logged)
Date: February 09, 2007 03:07AM

Ok, fuller instructions. (copy and pasted from replies to me from ubuntu
mailing list, so the grammar may not be v. consistent!)

1. You can get pipslite, which is GPL'd, at
[www.avasys.jp]

(you've done this)

2. I used alien to convert the RPM to a .deb.
$ alien -c name_of_the_downloaded_pipslite.rpm

3. some config stuff.

I was advised:
--begin quote--
I also had to edit
/etc/ekpdrc to replace "/dev/usb/lp0" with "/dev/usblp0" which is
where the device was actually created - YMMV.
--end quote--

but I found that it needed some combination of running the scripts
in /usr/local/EPAva/LITE/scripts which prompted me for the /dev
location.
If you have the printer plugged in by USB, then just $ ls /dev/usb* to
see
what it comes up as.

3a) Run script /usr/local/EPAva/LITE/scripts/setup-cups.sh
3b) Run /usr/local/EPAva/LITE/scripts/inst-cups-post.sh

4. Make the PPD file: run a file
called "pipslite-install" which is
in /usr/local/EPAva/LITE/

5. After that, you add the new printer via an admin tool (eg.
[localhost:631] ), and you'll need to
manually add the PPD file that the install program should have
placed in /usr/share/cups/model/

As I say, bit of faffing, but it worked for me.

--
Adam Hough <adam at gradientzero.com>