Customised Fedora DVD using new Kernel

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Thu Mar 1 18:58:00 UTC 2007

phil prentice wrote:
> Hi
>
>  For a number of reasons we are trying to build our own customised
> dvd (based on Fedora) using the latest kernel (2.6.20).  Currently we
> are running with
> Fedora 3.  I know this is very old, and it is our intention to upgrade to a
> newer release in the near future.  Unfortunately, for various reasons we
> are
> being forced to run with Fedora 3 a little longer.  For future reference we
> would very much like the ability to personalize our own Fedora distro to
> take account
> for example of the ever changing hardware requirements and special
> software requirements.

snip

You are a candidate for pungi.

https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/pungi

FC6 and F7 have pungi in extras.  The pungi tools are new and are
dependant upon newer versions of supporting tools to roll a new distro.

So, you could set up a laptop or developer system with the latest F7 and
follow pungi.  From that system you could roll a custom distro of FC6 or F7.

After manipulating your custom comps.xml and fixing yum references to
use local or remote fast repositories ( we put home grown packages in
our own repository, and mirror the major repositories) you simply run
pungi and a new distro is born!

Test, re-roll, test, etc.

I can usually make and test changes to a test server configuration in
about an hour.

Using pungi also gives you a fairly easy method of adding your own
custom kickstart files to your CD/DVD image.

Check it out!