DMA on optical drive

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Mar 3 19:46:57 UTC 2007

Michael Klinosky wrote:
> Mikkel:
>> If that is not the problem, you may be able to use hdparm to turn on
>> DMA. (It should have been turned on in the BIOS...)
>
> Are you saying that my problem is more likely that DMA is *off* (and
> should be on)?

Well, it depends on the drive. Not all optical drives support DMA,
but any fairly new drive should. You can use hdparm to see the
current settings, check what the drive supports, and to change the
current settings. Depending on your BIOS, it may also possible to
set DMA support for a specific drive. To get good performance from
your drive, you will want DMA turned on.

Mikkel