Can't get NetworkManager to configure ntp

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200703 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 22:54:48 UTC 2007

Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> writes:
> When I plug it in, the machine gets its IP address, router IP, and DNS
> ip, but ntp.conf does not get updated.

You might want to try without network manager first.  I just have each
interface marked as dynamic in system-configure-network.  When
dhcpclient runs separately on each interfaces it does edit
/etc/ntpd.conf as expected.

> How do I debug this?  I tried stracing the NetworkManager process, but
> I cannot see it forking/cloning/execing dhclient and dhclient-script.

I've always had good luck hacking chclient-script to echo/concatenate
all of its calling args along with a timestamp into a log file in
/tmp.  eg.

     echo "$(date) $@" >> /tmp/dhclient.log

-wolfgang