missing zd1211rx firmware

Philip Walden pwaldenlinux at pacbell.net
Sun Mar 4 01:53:29 UTC 2007

Philip Walden wrote:
>> I just bought a Airlink awll3026 USB wireless adapter as it
>> supposedly is supported by the zd1211 driver in FC6.
>>
>> When I plug it in I get in dmesg:
>>
>> usb 1-1: Could not load firmware file zd1211/zd1211b_ub. Error number -2
>> zd1211rw 1-1:1.0: couldn't load firmware. Error number -2
>> usb 1-1: reset full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
>> zd1211rw: probe of 1-1:1.0 failed with error -2
>> usbcore: registered new interface driver zd1211rw
>> ath_hal: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.
>> ath_hal: 0.9.17.2 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413,
>> RF5413)
>> wlan: 0.8.4.2 (0.9.2.1)
>>
>> Googling around I see that some file is expected to be found in
>> /lib/firmware, but this directory is empty.
>>
>> Is there some package I specifically need to install to get the
>> firmware? I have 2.6.19-1.2911.fc6.
I went to: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=129083
and downloaded the firmware package and put it in /lib/firmware/zd1211.

I then pulled out the adapter plugged it in and the firmware loaded
successfully.

After a bit of fiddling I was able to get a WEP connect to my local
wireless network using the Sysyem>Administration>Network GUI.

I still have the same question as to where the firmware is in the FC6
set of packages.

Thanks

Phil