Livna kernel dependency issue

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Mar 5 16:39:32 UTC 2007

On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 11:33:07AM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> I have two machines that use livna kmod packages, one kmod-ntfs, the
> other a Radeon fglrx driver. I've been using the ntfs drivers
> sucessfully for several months. I have just installed the Radeon card,
> so cannot be sure this isn't a new installation issue.

Followup. This morning's updates brought the missing kernel in, and I
installed it. I now have two kernels of what apprear to be the same
major, minor and patch numbers on my system:

kernel-2.6.19-1.2911.6.4.fc6.i686
kernel-2.6.19-1.2911.fc6.i686

Huh?

I went ahead with the normal stuff to get the driver enabled. Running
glxgears indicated that the system now runs slower than it did before
I installed the driver. Again, Huh?

I finally rebooted. On the way up, the system locked up. I rebooted
again. The system came up, and glxgears reports speeds ranging between
500 and 1000 fps, not exactly a steady rate. However, GoogleEarth now
works at a reasonable rate.

* Why is a reboot necessary to install a driver module? Why are two
  reboots necessary to install a driver module? This is not Windows.

* Why do I need what appears to be two different installations of the
  same kernel on my system?

I'm getting irritated at Fedora being a bit too bleeding edge for my
taste. I have work to do, and can't afford the time I spend farting
around with this stuff. Maybe I should join Mr. Raymond over at
Ubuntu.