Can't upgrade: "Multiple devices with the same label"

Steve Lacy smlacy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 16:40:33 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade from FC4 to FC6 before this DST bug hits...

I boot the FC6 installer, get to anaconda where I can select the upgrade,
and I get a dialog box that says:

"Multiple devices on your system are labeled k?;[]qu??lqBs,?|. Labels across
devices must be unique for your system to function properly.  Please fix
this problem and restart the installation process."

The "[]" in that is actually a unicode box with the numbers 0,0,1,3 in it.
Anyway, I certainly didn't manually label any of my filesystems with that
string.  Here's my /etc/fstab:

/dev/md0                /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
/dev/sda1               /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/devpts             /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
/dev/shm                /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/proc               /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
/dev/sys                /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/sda2               swap                    swap    pri=1           0 0
/dev/sdb2               swap                    swap    pri=1           0 0
/dev/sdc2               swap                    swap    pri=1        0 0
/dev/sdd1               /media/usbdisk          ext2
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,utf8,managed 0 0
/dev/hda                /media/cdrecorder       auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

/dev/md0 is labeled "md0" and /dev/sda1 is labeled "/boot", although those
names aren't used in /etc/fstab.

I think the problem is that / is RAID5 and on /dev/md0, and if anaconda is
going through all partitions in the system and running "e2label" on each of
them, it'll see that /dev/sda3 and /dev/sdc3 return the same value: "md0",
due to the RAID configuration.  But, that doesn't jive with the wacky label
printed in the dialog box (above).  When it says "label" I assume its
referring to the e2label, is that true?  Is it possible to label a swap
partition?

Any help on how to get around this would be greatly appreciated.

Steve