Consistency

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Mon Mar 5 22:58:46 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > When I set up dovecot I had to edit /etc/dovecot.conf before it worked:
>> >
>> > diff dovecot.conf dovecot.conf.centos
>> > 14c14
>> > < protocols = imap imaps pop3
>> > ---
>> >  > #protocols = imap imaps
>> > 21,22c21,22
>> > < imap_listen = 192.168.255.254:143
>> > < pop3_listen = 192.168.255.254:110
>>

> I don't get it.  I do 'yum install dovecot' and 'service dovecot start'
> and it answers on pop3/pop3s/imap/imaps on my network interface.
> Is that the current fedora version you are describing?

I'm running dovecot under CentOS 4.4.  I like more stability and less
volatility for my server than FC provides.  The "customization" is
required since I only want dovecot to listen for IMAP/POP connections on
my internal LAN.  Yes, these ports are blocked on my external NIC but I
like the idea that dovecot doesn't accept connections from an external
address.  I also vaguely remember that it complained for some reason I
didn't specify just the internal network.  Unfortunately, that was long
enough ago that I don't recall the exact complaint.

Dovecot on my server is:

[root at fraud etc]# rpm -q dovecot
dovecot-0.99.11-4.EL4

It looks like 1.1 is available for FC6.  From "yum info dovecot":

Available Packages
Name   : dovecot
Arch   : i386
Version: 1.0