Nvdia module

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Tue Mar 6 16:07:06 UTC 2007

On Tue March 6 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Hi Claude;
>
> I just got the noarch rpm from Dell's site figuring its the newest.
> But I got lost at turn one trying to follow the setup instructions.  At
> the present time I'm building it with the NVIDIA-Linux installer and that
> seems to be working ok.  But its a pita to remember to do it.
>
> Do you have it setup to autobuild the nvidia video card stuff?  If so, can
> you post the files that enable it please?

All I do is have freshrpms repo enabled. I install the nvidia driver and the
dkms package from there. They just work. I've done this on multiple machines.
You also have to have the kernel-headers package installed for your kernel -
once you've done that one time, regular updates take care of themselves. If a
new kernel is installed by an update (it will also pull in the new
kernel-header package), it's detected on boot-up, and dkms runs its script to
build the new kernel-module. When the machine comes up, the nvidia driver is
active with the new kernel - it's just really that simple - at least in my
experience. I've got two FC6 boxes and two Blag boxes (Fedora derivative),
and this is the process I've followed on all of them. I'm hoping someone with
greater scripting skills than I will write a similar routine for the vmware
player/server modules - the only thing remaining that I have to rebuild after
a kernel update.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA