Hardware Error Solution

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Mar 7 19:47:10 UTC 2007

Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I guess I am having hardware problem with my FC5 box. The box suddenly
> hangs without any user intervention, displaying message something like
> (in console mode , no GUI).
>
> a) DWARF UNWINDER ...stucked at some point
> b) FATAL EXCEPTION on Interrupt
>
> This is not the first time it happened. During first time it happened,
> I thought it was a motherboard problem, so I exchanged the new
> motherboard to same kind. Exchanged everything except Harddrive and
> CPU. Now this problem suddenly popped out again.
>
> So here are my questions:
> ===================
> 1. Can CPU be defective?? Is it possible?? How and why?
> 2. If I change the hardware entirely (I guess I can't find the
> motherboard and CPU of same kind anymore), can I still use my old FC5
> installation ?? What I mean is will my old FC will detect the hardware
> changes and make necessary adjustment with drivers and everything will
> be fine?
> I am afraid if I need to reinstall entire thing again, it will take
> considerable amount of time since it is heavily customized and need to
> interrupt the normal work.
> ==============
> Thanks

I have had three power supplies go in the last year on my box.  Two were
made by Antec with the same fault of the +5V rail dropping close/below
the limit.  This seems to be a known fault and can be fixed.  Even a
brand new one out of the box had only 4.8 volts on the 5 volt rail.

It took out one DVD burner and caused strange lockups and hardware issues.

I found that sensors doesn't report the voltages accurately in
comparison to using a digital meter.

Just something worth checking.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.