Question on MBR of SATA Raid 1 Software

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Mar 8 12:04:12 UTC 2007

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 23:53:45 +0100,
  Dario Lesca <d.lesca at solinos.it> wrote:
> Il giorno ven, 02/03/2007 alle 10.45 -0600, Bruno Wolff III ha scritto:
> > Currently grub is not software raid aware and the default is to only
> > install
> > it on one of the mirrors. You want to manually install ....
>
> Then I must copy the MBR of first disk on MBR of second disk? or not?
>
> [X] Yes, all people after a RAID install must do that, otherwise
>     if the first disk crash the system it does not start.
> [ ] No, only you have this issue, if you remove the
>     first disc all work fine
>
> Please, check the right answer.
>
> Many thanks!

I am not sure that everything you need is on the MBR, but for sure if you
do nothing only one disk in the array will get grub installed in the MBR
without taking further action.
This only applies to RAID 1 on the boot partition. Other types of RAID or LVM
can't be used on that partition, if you want your system to boot.