Use tar to append?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 9 16:01:34 UTC 2007

Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> wondering why you wouldn't use Amanda.

I wrote

>> (2) It requires learning how to use Yet Another Package when
>> I'm not interested in making my OS be a hobby.
>

> Yes, a personal choice.

Well, that should end it, then. De gustibus non
disputandum est. Why are you arguing?

[snip]

> Yeah, that's the problem with open source software.  It makes it so hard
> to move to a different platform.  :-)

I don't want to do builds and installs of stuff. I DID mention I didn't
want my OS to become a hobby.

> BTW, it doesn't use "other than standard tools".  It uses either native
> dump and/or GNU tar.

Amanda is not Standard.

[snip]

> Because use of amanda makes a nice way to do backups and takes care of

Define "nice way". Again, this is my personal choice. I gave
you the reasons I made it. So, let it drop.

> all problems one may encounter trying to maintain their own set of

NOTHING takes care of "all problems".

> tools/scripts.  Thought you may want to give it a try.  You don't have
> to. Just a suggestion.  Have fun hacking at tar and gzip.

I have a system which has worked fine for me. I'd like to tweak
it. I don't want to learn a whole system.

You gonna do a port of amanda to my next OS?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.