Use tar to append?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 9 21:17:23 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>

>>>The problem is that the entire archive is compressed, and not the
>>
>>[snip]
>>
>>No, it is not. Please speak of what you know, rather than
>>what you conjecture.[1]
>>

> Are you saying that this is not how compressed tar archives are

No. What you stated (most of which I cut) is that the reason
it is so time consuming is that it must decompress the compressed
archive. While that may add to the time, it is not THE PROBLEM
for why it takes so long to append to an archive, as you stated.

[snip]

> Try the same thing with the archives compressed, and let me know how
> long it takes.

I do not claim that it would not take longer. It probably would.
But taking two minutes per addition of directory for 30+
directories is not acceptable, anyway. So the test is irrelevant.
Even without compression it takes too long.

[snip]

> Well, tar was created for use with tape drives, with limited to no
> seek capabilities. It may well be seeking from the start of the

[snip]

Of course. That's why I wrote what I did.

> From the results you are seeing, it would appear that you are using
> the wrong tool for the job you are trying to do.

No, it runs adequately fast when not appending. You might go back
and read my OP.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.