Google Earth stuck in graphics emulation

Guillermo Garron guillermo.fedora at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 14:53:30 UTC 2007

On 3/10/07, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/03/07, Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > On Saturday 10 March 2007 1:21:15 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > > I've got a Dell Inspiron 6400/ E1505 laptop with the ATI x1400
> > > graphicsw card with 256 MB or video RAM (2 GB system RAM). However,
> > > when I try to run Google Earth, I get this:
> > > "You are currently runnin Google Earth in 'OpenGL' with software
> > > emulation."
> > >
> > > Apparently, Google Earth cannot use my graphics hardware. All the
> > > details on the Google Earth website pertain to Windows only. Does
> > > anybody have any experience configuring Google Earth on Fedora?
> >
> > Runs fine here (nvidia hardware with nvidia driver)
> >
> > I think the issue is more with your graphics driver than with google earth.
> > google earth needs decent 3D acceleration - The message suggests that the
> > driver you are using doesn't have this - Which ATI driver are you using ?
> >
> > Chris
> >

> Thanks for the qquick reply, Chris. I'm using the Vesa driver. Should
> I switch to Radeon?

Hi, I have in my desktop PC

Pentium IV 3 GHz, 1 Gig RAM and an ATI Radeon X300 with 128 Mbytes
Running Debian Etch and the last version of googleearth, and had the
same problem you have.

I went to the link provided on the dialog box that says you are
running in emulation mode, and downloade the ATI driver, now it really
runs fast! i was using VESA also, and did not work

--
Guillermo Garron
"Linux IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."