Yet another FC install: kernel panic after boot from DVD

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 14:46:20 UTC 2007

This is the third machine I'm installing FC6 on this month :) The
first two went smoothly, but this one (P4 1.5 gHz, 256 MB RDRAM) is
giving me kernel panic after booting from the install disk. I've
snapped two pics of the screen here:
http://dotancohen.com/kernelPanic1.jpg
http://dotancohen.com/kernelPanic2.jpg
Note: the pics are 1.8 MB each! I'm in no position to make them
smaller at the moment- technical BS.

The machine has got a CD ROM drive and I salvaged the DVD drive from
another known-good machine. I have three disks here: SLAX CD, Kubuntu
CD, and FC6 DVD. All three disks give kernel panic when booted from
the DVD drive. From the CD drive, FC6 and Kubuntu panic, but SLAX
lights right up and runs fine. Note that onle one drive is attached at
a time: I've only got a one-headed IDE cable at the moment.

Memtest86+ runs all night on the machine and turns up fine. The post
test beeps like it should, no morse code. What could I check?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/youtube.html
http://technology-sleuth.com/question/what_is_hdtv.html