Wireless recommendations

Paul Lemmons paul.lemmons at tmcaz.com
Mon Mar 12 21:33:46 UTC 2007

At one time I had Fedora/KDE on my laptop. I later replaced Fedora with
that *other* OS simply because wireless was so painful. That was a long
time ago and it appears things have changed. I think I am ready to
switch back now but before I go through that effort, I would like to
have some confirmation that the pain has been eliminated.

The laptop is a Dell 600m with an Intel ProSet 2200BG wireless adapter.
I travel with the laptop so configuring it for a single network with a
single network key is not any good for me. Having to manually
reconfigure every time I go to a new location is also not any good
either. What I really want is to be able open it up, have it resume from
suspend or boot and recognize that there are networks in the area. If it
finds one that it has seen before, connect to it. If not, give me
something to select from. Though not an absolute, it would also be very
handy if it did PEAP as well so that I can connect at work.

I can see the open part of the driver is already in the kernel and the
proprietary part of the driver is now available via yum at livna. That
is cool. I have never used network manager but it looks like it might do
what I am looking for. If there is a better way to do this, I would love
to hear it.

Anyway, as I said, I am looking for success stories and a nudge in a
right direction. I guess I am also looking for for any red flags, pit
falls or horror stories.

TIA