convert VHS to DVD

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 13 17:21:24 UTC 2007

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Tue March 13 2007, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>The only ones it hurts is those who want to own their own
>>copies of what they buy.
>
> But what have you actually bought? IANAL - but in essence, you're paying for a

I didn't say I wanted to own the material. I want to own my copy.
Like a book. The copy should be mine, to use or dispose of as I
see fit. With a book, I can make copies for my own use. What we've got
now is books written so that one has to use the "magic red glasses"
to read it, and laws which make it semi illegal (illegal in some
countries) to use the glasses to make a clear Xerox type copy.

The "regionalization" of DVDs is sort of like making an attempt
to publish a book which I can read only in my own country. It
doesn't make sense. The only people who get penalized are those who
want to make legitimate copies for their own use, so they don't
wear out the original.

> right to play, under certain very restricted conditions, the material that's
> on that tape - you certainly haven't bought any rights, expressed or implied,
> to the material itself - I know you like to argue, Mike, but don't take this
> as an attempt to argue with you, I'm not - the excessive pre-occupation
> with "intellectual rights" and "piracy" is anathema to me - the notion of
> asserting "intellectual rights" with the majority of the dreck that pours out

Dreck, hmm. That's a pretty strong word, you know. If it's dreck, then
there isn't any problem, because no one will want it or want to buy it.

> of production houses today is itself, a commentary on our times - some
> historians down the road with a sense of humor will have a good laugh at that
> one

The RIAA tried to prevent people from playing music on the radio
for quite some time. Now, recording industry can't wait to get
a free copy to radio stations.

What we need is an attitude adjustment to the progress of technology
which doesn't involve trying to impede its normal progress.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.