Fedora - DELL ?

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Mar 14 09:45:11 UTC 2007

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> In light of the small possiblity of Dell having Linux sold , en masse
> on desktops and laptops, is Fedora prepared to make dell some kind of
> mutally beneficial offer? Or is the Fedora community decidedly not for
> the demographic of Dell buyers?

If Dell set the boxes up to their own repo mirrors, that would be nice.
  Otherwise I don't know why they should be any different to anyone else
that turns up here.  Maybe they can fund a third party to manage mirrors
on their behalf if they are frightened about the possibility of IP
attacks on stuff in the distro.

I have had three Dell laptops in the past myself.  If somebody is buying
1000, then it's not like we will get 1000 people asking questions, they
will hassle their internal admin setup and one harassed guy will ask the
question.  In addition, because the platforms are largely very stable,
once a problem is addressed for one Inspiron 5050 user it is solved for
all of them at once.

Extra update bandwidth is the only trouble I can think of, if Dell take
care of that then it will be good for everyone I think.  Although
"everyone" in this context may turn out to be Ubuntu if their more vocal
supporters rally more troops to the voting page.

-Andy