gspcav1 driver problems

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Mar 14 20:00:50 UTC 2007

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 07:30:48PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 March 2007, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > It is already available since a coule of days at ATrpms. Either
> > install the yum-plugin-kmdl or simply do
> >
> > yum install gspcav1-kmdl-`uname -r`
> >
> Hmm - I had been trying each day, but not realising that I should give it the
> `uname -r` ending.
>
> > > You could possibly use the DKMS module from freshrpms.net and avoid this
> > > issue since DKMS auto builds against the new kernel on bootup. On the
> > > other hand DKMS would require compiler and related tools to be installed
> > > on your system.
> >
> > And lacks reproducability in case the build went wrong, which makes
> > kernel module debbugging even more difficult.
> >
> > (the main reason kernel folks at RH object to having kernel modules
> > packaged in any format whatsoever is the issues with dealing with user
> > bug reports on kernel/kernel modules)
>
> OK - got it, Axel.  Is that all I need?  I thought that originally I had a
> separate gspcav1 package.  Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I've already
> admitted that I don't understand this :-)

The kernel module projects are split in two packages:

a) "gspcav1" containing everything that is not kernel version
   specific, e.g. docs, binaries under /usr, libs etc.

b) "gspcav1-kmdl-<kernel version>" for each kernel package which
   contains the kernel module(s) for that explicit kernel

On each kernel upgrade you need the matching kmdl. The yum-plugin-kmdl
takes care on "yum install kernel" and "yum update", or you can
manually bring the new kmdls in with the `uname -r` command.

BTW the new kmdls don't even need yum-plugin-kmdl.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net