rlogin sometimes hangs (from FC6 client)

Eur Ing Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Mar 15 13:21:10 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 01:04:08PM +0000, replies-lists-a1z2-redhat at listmail.innovate.net wrote:

> >> this is generally a dns issue.
> >>
> >> the remote host tries to do a lookup of the inbound ipnumber. if
> >> there isn't an in-addr.arpa entry for the ipnumber you'll get a
> >> delay (which may be long enough for a timeout). additionally, if
> >> access control on the remote system is by inbound hostname (which is
> >> determined by a lookup against the inbound ipnumber), rather than
> >> ipnumber, a lookup failure will result in your not getting access.
> >>
> >> note, this is the a dns lookup on the *ipnumber* of your fc6 system,
> >> not a lookup by that machine's hostname.
> >>
> > Hmmm.  This is all on a 10.x.x.x intranet at work.  It uses NIS/YP for
> > internal lookup and, as far as I can see, the systems in question all
> > seem to be properly entered in the NIS database.
> >

> on the remote system that you're trying to log in to try doing a dns
> lookup of the ipnumber of the source machine and see what you get.

All 'dns' lookups for 'internal' systems fail, the only lookup tool
on Solaris is nslookup and that specifically does a nameserver
lookup and there's no 'internal' nameserver, everything gets found
by using NIS.  If I (for example) ping the IP address of the FC6
system from the Solaris system it always succeeds - well I did 100 or
so and they all worked.

--
Chris Green