Networked hard drive

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 19:13:31 UTC 2007

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:49:05 -0500
> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Specs at http://www.freecom.com/objects/00006218.pdf
>>
>> It doesn't use a standard file sharing protocol.
>
> Even better than that, it says "No IP address so the drive is invisible to
> anyone outside of your network; your data is 100% secure."
>
> If it doesn't have an IP address, how in the world can anything communicate
> with it over an Ethernet link?

Very efficiently, since it doesn't have to use the IP stack, but you
have to be on the same subnet with it so it can work directly with MAC
addresses.

> It would be interesting to run a nmap scan on the local network where that
> thing is plugged in and see what pops up.  Possibly nothing, if that quote is
> an accurate description.

I'd guess it is similar/identical to AoE which is included in recent
kernels, although I haven't heard much about it compared to iscsi.

--
   Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com