Package Manager and Yum Don't Work

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Mar 16 03:27:43 UTC 2007

Jesse Petre writes:

> Hello,
> I just installed Fedora, and I'm having a few issues...hopefully someone
> can help.  When I go to Add/Remove Programs (package manager) it says that:
> "Another application is running which is accessing software information"
> and then closes.  Also, when I try to install something in Yum, it
> returns:
> Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running. Aborting.
> Everything is sitting idle, and I'm not running any programs.  What's
> going on?  This is a fresh install...

There's a background process that automatically checks for updates from
Fedora repositories, and compiles a list of package updates that'll pop-up
when they become available.

If you just installed FC 6, there's a buttload of updates that have
accumulated over the past 6 months.  It's going to take a while for all the
metadata to get processed.

Yes, this is completely broken.  People have commented that the entire
rpm/yum based package management is long overdue for a redesign.