Fedora - DELL ?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 15:28:58 UTC 2007

Jim Cornette wrote:

>> Except that it doesn't work with a lot of hardware.  And the engineers
>> designing the hardware and writing the drivers for other OS versions
>> are probably the best qualified to write and maintain the Linux
>> drivers too. They probably would also be the most motivated if the
>> driver interface was stable so they didn't have to re-do it all the time.
>
> I agree that the provider would be the best source for providing the
> best driver for their product. I do think that input from actual users
> and coders outside the provider could improve performance of drivers to
> a greater degree than closing up the source since Linux changes so
> frequently.

There's this great programming concept called an 'interface' that
popular operating systems have used successfully to allow different sets
of people to write components separately that continue to interoperate
across different revisions of each.  Typically, projects don't get these
exactly right the first time but after a few revisions they understand
all the requirements and can stop making frequent changes.  How long has
Linux been around now?

>>  > DRM is key for Microsoft in my opinion.
>>
>> Microsoft thinks there is a demand for DRM so they provide it - it
>> isn't something useful on its own.  Personally I think that demand
>> will go away by itself except for rental-type distribution models when
>> customers realize how limiting it is and the content suppliers that
>> thought it would sell find out otherwise - and customers should
>> ultimately decide these things.
>>

> I hope your ideal that the consumer will prevail and Windows will back
> off from such practices. A user should not be so limited in using their
> own computers.

What users accept as limitations should be based on having choices and
full disclosure of the implications.  Operating systems and technology
providers should not be taking away any of these choices from you. A
very low cost rental model based on content that expires might be
perfectly acceptable to a lot of people and if so, we'd all be better
off if the ability to handle such content worked across many platforms
instead of forcing users to buy and run only the platform that handles
their desired content.  If consumers find the price/value acceptable for
   content with long-term DRM, that's OK too, but I think it will be too
cumbersome and fail on its own - especially given any competition.  But
the thing that should make it fail is a better alternative, not someone
ranting against the concept or adding restrictions to other licensing terms.

>> The practical issue is not the omission of the functional parts with
>> legal restrictions, it is the fact that the GPL prohibits others from
>> obtaining the legal rights to distribute these missing parts,
>> combining them and offering a fully functional product.
>
> This probably needs addressed so the items would be more distributable
> and less in need of legal council after some arbitrary solution is
> reached. I see this battle going on for a long time and without
> resolution though.

This is inherent in the GPL without clear interface boundaries.  If we
had a clean definition of what can add value and capabilities to the
kernel without the possibility of being considered a derived work under
copyright law everyone would be able to cooperate to the extent needed
to compete with operating systems that don't have this problem.  There
is a similar situation for every work that contains GPL'd components but
needs additional plugins to handle different content or situations.  As
things stand there is no clearly legal way to provide all the necessary
pieces together.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com